Wednesday 4 September 2013

Sophie's World - Faez Mahdi

Here is a report on Sophie's World. It is more like a personal voice into play. I am sure that Faez sounds more like a hyped-up teenager than a metropolitan-man I profess to create out of my class. Look at the colored line of Metaphor - it is both fresh and naïve. Well, it's all right in the end. I am receiving a good number of reports - but some of you have made it a point - NOT to send me anything at all. Let's see who makes the POINT. 

NOTWITHSTANDING some of the grammatical errors, this is a good example of a writing that is slowly taking shape in a distinct personal voice. I must add that yesterday I had a talk to Faez and I right-away rejected his report on The Stranger by Camus - for being too informal and too personal. 

Sir,

I have watched the video; "An introduction to Microeconomics - Jon Gruber" on YouTube. The one you posted on the blog. I'm going to watch the second part too. Moving on. 

I haven't finished Sophie's World. I'm midway through the book, and today I had to read the summary. This is an insult to “Sophie’s World”, I'd say, but then again; desperate times call for desperate measures, But rest assure, I'm going to spend Wednesday and Thursday on the book, in hopes to finish it. For the first time ever, I actually want to finish a book. It isn't just another book to read and get things done with. It provides an aesthetic pleasure. I'm really not that much into philosophical topics, but this isn't just another article. It could be eulogized to a point where, I would term it as more of a "therapeutic inscription". Apocalyptic inscriptions, showered with a divine ways to look at life in the eye. Although, clairvoyants might disagree, I actually think Sophie's world represents something. It has a meaning, it begs for more time. It urges a ramification. It drags one's mind to it, like a starving alligator would drag in a deer into its kingdom (river). It makes us wonder; what exactly did the author try to indicate? Who is this Albert Knag? The fact that he created Sophie and Albert, does that metaphorically make him an ubermensch [superman]? Or does he represent a higher power? 

Let's move back to the beginning of the book. Sophie, a fourteen year old child, starts receiving unknown mails. Mails that enlighten the striving soul in her. They learn about a lot of vital things, famous people, and important stepping stones to life itself. 

The story then shifts to Hilde's perspective, where it reveals that Sophie doesn't exist. Linguistically she doesn't, but philosophically she does. Sophie is rather a character created my Albert Knag (Hilde's father). He creates her to entertain his daughter. It isn't long, that Sophie starts growing on Hilde. Sophie and Albert continue their pursuit of knowledge, but this time, we get to see it from Hilde's eyes. We get to know that, Sophie and Albert haste their pursuit as June 15th approaches. They want to break free of shackles incarcerating them inside Hilde's mind. My "PROPOSITION", is that they yearn to gain more knowledge as they stroll closer to death. We may take the idea from Andrew Marvel's philosophy of limited time in this world, but in a different field here. 

OR, they are trying to break free of the worldly affairs. Albert's mind might represent the world here. They try to learn as much as possible to get out of Albert's mind. Maybe, that represents my idea of how knowledge sets you apart from the rest of the herd. They are tying to push themselves out of this world by gaining knowledge. And, lastly they succeed in doing so, and them move on to another mind. Hilde's father created them, Hilde did the rest as a reader. Therefore, it represents the significance of a reader's imagination in reading any text. Jostein Gaarder creates two worlds, and combines them. Two worlds, very similar to each other. Both, about two little girls.

I have so much more to say. I think I am going to write another report on this. I'm going to develop that more, and put in more time to that. I'm going to send it to you by this weekend, hopefully. I guess, a good report on such a book would do me a world of good for my college application.
Faez



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated by Shahidul Mamun before publishing.