Thursday 5 November 2015

Lighthouse Lighthouse

Inlet of Hope by Frederick SuitsLighthouses are very romantic. We all have read about the lighthouses from some old-school adventure books - I probably read about a lighthouse in Treasure Island. Fully operational old brick-and-mortar lighthouses are rare and can only be found in a few places. I had a chance to visit one in Scotland in 2012 - it was not romantic, it was just ... lonely. But as I look back I see that the hour of my visit is so clearly imprinted in my memory, that I can NOT deny today that I must have been impressed by the structure. My significant acquaintance with a lighthouse occurred while reading the fictional world of Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse. And then I came across this painting - and remembered how fantastic it would be to visit again - a lighthouse, on a deserted creek.

Maisha and Afrida required to watch the film "Shakespeare in Love" tonight. If Susan is not otherwise engaged - she may also watch! First 32 minutes would be enough for our purpose - the rest is yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated by Shahidul Mamun before publishing.