Tuesday 10 October 2017

A Watershed Moment - Essays and Thoughts & Philosophy

We have entered a moment when things will never be same as before. We all have tasted the fruit of different levels of 'failures'. I too have to taste it - even if vicariously. I do not have a good Essay or Plan of Work from any one of you. It is just like the years that precedes this one. There can be no doubt that you have your moments of Doubt & Chaos - all pulling you towards a kind of withdrawal and YET you must come back to take a fresh look. 

What DARE I suggest?

Should I tell you to read and watch Hamlet? Should I ask you to have a look at T S Eliot or a few of Robert Browning's poems (Fra Lippo Lippi, Andrea del Sarto, My Last Dutchess)? Should I ask you to go through all the "philosophy  of technology" texts that we had previously visited (Feenberg's Critical Theory of Technology AND Van Dusek's Philosophy of Technology?) How important is Foucault's comments on Technology? It appears that when each of the students are searching for an appropriate Major or a Field of Study to inquire they are all ill-prepared to understand the underlying principle that is fundamental to the question of "Intellectual Inquiry". 

Sadly, we do not have anyone committing to Liberal Arts subjects - it is almost a repetition of last year. As if our students will be happy to burn their life slaving at the factories, hospitals, corporate quarters, and working cubicles. I dare hope that when you are considering the fact of choosing a Major, you should also looks for elements that keep you "mentally engaged". 

We must show to the admissions committee what we are capable of BUT it must be clear to us beforehand that we are enamored to certain Ideas, Concepts, Plans, Visions, and we must do it with a flare of aggressiveness. 

I have added three pictures here. Robert Browning, one of Foucault's guffaws, and Susan Sontag at herself. Find out about them debate about them and love OR hate them. Just don't remain apathetic. The last picture is one that depicts myself in the image of someone else. 
I have been playing Indian Classical Music at regular intervals in the class. However, I NEVER received any inquiry regarding anything related to Hindustani Music which is practiced all over India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. I have been asking everyone to begin playing an instrument with a view to rediscover oneself - so far, no response. I am now considering my next move.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated by Shahidul Mamun before publishing.