Wednesday 8 January 2020

Narrative Research Paper - Letter from Tahsin Khan, Nottingham Univ, UK

Today morning I was talking to four of them (Shomit, Afrida, Raiyan, & Taoseef) in the class about WHAT is a technical Research Paper for hte purpose of Undergraduate Admission. And after a 20 min rushed and hyped discussion, when I returned to my laptop and everyone "sadly" returned theor own, I received the following messages from Tahsin Khan, who is currently in Nottingham University, UK having just successfully "defended" his MSc Thesis in Machine Learning.

His entire message is for the benefit for the Application Students and I am quoting him verbatim below. Hello Sir, I hope this message finds you well. Thought I should share something with you: 

This is a copy of PhD dissertation by Dr. Koray Celik. One of the best pieces of storytelling in a technical paper that I have seen. Maybe you could share this with the college applicants this year. Might help them locate interesting topics in science and tech. The reason I am sharing this is because I used to know the author personally from my time at Iowa State University, where he set up the "Unmanned Aeriel Vehicle" (aka drone) research almost single handedly. However, in his PhD dissertation he talks about the inspiration he got from natural systems (like the sonar capabilities of bats) in great detail.
I think if the students read through only a few pages then they would get a preliminary, 10000m view of the concepts at play here. Maybe they can then elaborate on those topics they find interesting in their essays which might give depth to their writings. Anyways, I hope it helps. Please let me know if you would be free some time in February. It has been a while since we talked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated by Shahidul Mamun before publishing.