Saturday 17 November 2018

The Importance of being Poetry (letter from Wabash)

The following is a message I received from Ashfi. The Penguin editions of 3 parts of Divine Comedy has 3 iconic pictures of Medieval Imagination. You must also note that the 2nd book Inferno is the most famous. 

Dear Sir,

I am doing okay. I hope you are doing well. Wabash is every bit as difficult as you said it would be. My physics class is absolutely killing me but I am sticking with it. My freshman tutorial is by far my favorite class. We are studying Dante's Divine Commedia and my God is it a work of art. I can really understand why you said poems are much greater than novels back when we were in class. There are so many layers to this poem that it astonishes me every time I find another hidden layer in it. I am discovering a lot about writing and reading into texts. My math and English classes are going fine. English going better than math for sure. The 111 classes at Wabash are extremely difficult and basically weed out anyone not willing to study further in the subject. Right now I am excited for Thanksgiving break; I will be spending it in Wisconsin with my brother and his wife. Hoping to catch up and read ahead on material while I am there.

I am hoping next semester will go better than this one and I will be more prepared for what's to come. But Wabash was definitely a sudden kick in the gut. This place is no joke even compared to T-20 universities in my opinion. Something I have discovered through some of my friends.

Ashfi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated by Shahidul Mamun before publishing.